A linear route north from Brookmans Park
7.35 miles (11.82 km)
This walks starts at Brookmans Park station, heads over to Water End, turns north along the A1(M) to the village of Roestock, over to Sleapshyde, and ends at Hatfield station, where you can catch a train back to the start.
DirectionsThere is restricted parking in Brookmans Park village centre and surrounding roads (check signs), but you can pay to park in the station car park.
- From Brookmans Park's Bradmore Green head west, cross the railway bridge and follow Station Road north until you come to Bradmore Lane where you turn left.
- Follow Bradmore Lane until just before the bend where you will see a footpath sign on your right. Take this path and you emerge in a field. Keeping the hedge on your right and the field on your left head north.
- Keep on the path as it bends to your left and heads west then bends again heading south-west. All the way the hedge will be on your right and the field on your left. You will come to a wooden post on your right with a white painted top and an arrow pointing into the woods. Take this path as it drops down to a small brook, crosses a footbridge, and climbs up to a field.
- When you emerge in the field turn left and continue along the path heading west with the hedge on your left and the field on your right. The path bends round to the right slightly. Continue along, cross a path junction and keep heading straight until you reach the cycle path along Swanland Road. Here you turn left and head south until you come to the junction with Warrengate Road.
- At this point you will see a footpath sign on the west side of Swanland Road. (Here you have the option of turning left down Warrengate Road to visit The Woodman Inn.) Cross with care and take the path over a footbridge crossing the A1(M) and emerge on Tollgate Road. Here you turn left and walk along Tollgate Road until you reach the Octagon Lodge at the entrance to North Mymms Park.
- Walk past the lodge until you reach Tollgate Road. Cross the road and look out for a footpath sign close to the bus stop.
- Take the path and head north-east through a small wood and then into a field. You head diagonally left and walk north through the field heading towards the side of the A1(M). The path reaches steps over a farm road. Take these steps and then drop down the other side continuing north along the west side of the A1 (M) until the path turns left, crosses a farm track, and then heads west through the crops towards an electricity pylon.
- Immediately after the pylon the path splits. Take the right hand fork and head north-west towards Tollgate Road.
- Turn right and continue walking along Tollgate Road until you reach the bend. Here you take the right hand fork and head north along Bullens Green Lane.
- Continue past a junction and look out for a path on your left just before a row of houses. Take this path. The path continues with the hedge on your right and field on your left until the hedge turns right. You continue straight across the field to the hedgerow on the far side. Once you reach the hedge turn right and follow this path, with the hedge on your left and the field on your right until you reach Roestock Lane. (Here you have the option of turning left to visit The Chalkdrawers Arms.)
- Cross the lane and take the path directly opposite. This path bend to the right and, almost immediately afterwards you will see a path to your left. Take it and take the middle path of three heading north-west across the field.
- Continue until you reach a patch of woodland. Head straight through the woodland emerging on the A414 North Orbital Road. Cross with care and continue north down Sleapshyde Lane until you reach The Plough pub. (Here you can take refreshment before continuing along the footpath just past the pub.)
- This path forks. You take the right fork across the fields emerging on The Smallford Trail, which is the route of the old railway.
- Turn right and follow this trail heading east until you reach The Galleria in Hatfield. As you cross the A1(M) look out for the path dropping to your right on the other side and then turning left under the road and continuing into Hatfield.
- The route of the old railway continues with signs to Hatfield station. Keep following the station signs until you reach your destination.
- Here you can buy a single ticket back to Brookmans Park.