A disused railway line and historic pub
5.6 miles (9 km)
- From the car park, follow the course of the old railway track, the Ayot Greenway, as it heads west. You will have to cross a lane soon after the start.
- You soon come to woodland on your left called Long Spring, that, in April, has a spectacular carpet of bluebells (see image above).
- Continue along the Ayot Greenway until you pass a wood on your right, Saul's Wood, and open fields. Look out for a path on your right leaving The Ayot Greenway just after Saul's Wood. Take this path as it goes diagonally across the field heading northwest.
- On the other side of the field you come to a track. Turn right. Follow this track as it bends round Ayot Place and reaches a drive. Turn right and follow the drive to the large gates ahead. Go through a door to the right of the gate and then another door on your left.
- Walk to the lane and your way is straight on, heading north along the lane until it bends to the right. Here you take the bridleway on your left.
- Follow this bridleway across the fields until you reach another lane.
- Cross this lane and continue heading north-east across the fields until you reach another lane.
- Turn right and follow this lane as it bends round to the left and into Ayot St Lawrence.
- The Brocket Arms is on your left and here you can have a pint of real ale and a snack if you arrive during opening/serving hours. After leaving The Brocket Arms, turn left and head south through the village down Bride Hall Lane.
- Soon after leaving the village the lane goes left and then right. At the last bend in this dogleg take the path on your left. This is a wonderful path that goes through hedgerow and woodland - past Stocking Springs - a Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust reserve - and eventually reaches Codicote Road (you can cut through Stocking Springs because a path through the reserve runs parallel to the one you are taking).
- Cross the road and continue along the path directly opposite, heading south-east along the side of Fish Wood and Warren Wood until you reach the Ayot Greenway.
- Turn left on Ayot Greenway and follow the path back to the car park.