Two established trails and riverside walk
5 miles (8 km)
This walk starts and ends in the free public car park at the back of The Bull at Wheathampstead. It takes in part of the Lea Valley Walk and The Ayot Greenway. There are plenty of refreshment opportunities in Wheathampstead.
- Leave East Lane car park and turn left on East Lane.
- Follow the road as it bends left, becomes Meads Lane and ends at a gate leading to the open space on the banks of the River Lea. Cross the footbridge and turn right walking east along the north side of the River Lea.
- Follow this path round until it meets the B653. Here you turn right and follow the path down to a track. Turn left here and walk under the road bridge.
- Take the path on the right immediately after the bridge.
- Follow this path as it heads east along the north bank of the River Lea until you come to a small woodland on your left. Immediately after the woodland take the path on your left up to the Ayot Greenway, where you turn left.
- Follow the track of the old railway as it heads west until you reach a bridle path crossroads. Here you turn right.
- Follow this path north until it reaches Codicote Road.
- Cross the road and take the footpath immediately opposite, continuing north until you reach a gate to your left.
- Take this path and follow it up the hill until you meet a fork to the right.
- Your way is left, heading south back down to Codicote Road.
- Cross the road and take the path immediately opposite as it heads south east eventually reaching a track.
- Here you turn right.
- Go under the B653 once more, turn right after the tunnel and retrace your steps back to Wheathampstead.