Pinewoods and a riverside track
4.1 miles (6.5 km)
This is circular walk across a golf course, through pine woods, down a riverside track, and along the route of an old railway. It starts and finishes at the Waggoners pub where you can park.
|Map for Walk 38: Ayot Greenway South Loop|
Created on Map Hub by Hertfordshire Walker
Elements © Thunderforest © OpenStreetMap contributors
Note: There is a larger, more detailed map embedded at the end of these directions
- Park just past The Waggoners and take the footpath on the other side just south of the pub on the west side of the road. The path heads south-west across the golf course through pine woods and over fairways until it reaches a laurel hedge on the far side by Brocket Park.
- Here you turn sharp right and walk north-east keeping the laurel hedge on your left until the path crosses a metalled track and then continues downhill, across another fairway, and uphill to woodland on the far side.
- Walk through the woods and then keep with the path as it drops down and then continues north-west alongside the River Lea to Waterend.
- When the path emerges at the lane, turn right and, almost immediately, turn left along the Lea Valley Way.
- Almost immediately on your right you will see a footpath sign and a set of wooden steps. Ignore this path and continue heading north-west along the Lea Valley Way until you reach a footpath on your right heading north along the right hand side of woodland. This path continues until it meets the Ayot Greenway.
- Turn right on the Ayot Greenway and head north-east as it curves round to the end of the track where it meets a path leads down to a lane at a fork.
- Take the fork heading south-east until it reaches Ayot Green.
- Walk through the village and take Brickwall Close to the right just before the bridge over the A1 (M) which takes you back to your car.