Down to the River Lea and back
4.25 miles (6.8 km)
A pleasant circular that includes parts of two other walks on this site. It starts and ends at The Candlestick, West End, and includes a stretch of the Lea Valley footpath before returning via the outskirts of Essendon.
- Turn right out of The Candlestick car park and take the lane on your left heading west. Continue along this lane until you reach the end.
- Turn right and take the track heading north. This track eventually ends at a gate with a step stile. You continue north down to road to the River Lea.
- At the point where the road bends to your left and heads west, turn right and head east along the south side of the River Lea. Continue along this path until you come out at a bend on the B158.
- Turn right, cross the road and walk up the footpath alongside the B158 (Essendon Hill) until you reach the 30 mph speed limit sign on the outskirts of Essendon.
- Cross the road and take a footpath on your right which heads diagonally left across the field. Head for a point to the right of the last house and you will emerge on West End Lane.
- Turn right and follow West End Lane back to The Candlestick.