Great views, undulating but not dog-friendly
6.03 miles (9.7 km)
This is a wonderful, circular from North Mymms Church south over the hill towards South Mimms but turning right at the top of the hill and dropping down to the Colne Valley, over Colney Heath Common to Colney Heath and back to North Mymms.
There are some great views north west towards St Albans. Please note: This walk is not suitable for dogs. The footpath goes through Coursers Farm where there are stables and a sign saying no dogs.
- Park in the lane by North Mymms Church and head south down the road leading to North Mymms Park.
- When the road bends to the right, keep going straight down a bridleway that eventually climbs the hill through the woods.
- At the top of the hill you will see a path going off to the left, ignore this and keep straight on heading down into a dip.
- At the bottom of the dip you will see a path going off to your left and one to your right. Take the path to your right and climb the hill heading west towards the woodland in the distance.
- Go through a gate and head through the woods emerging in an open field. Keep straight ahead with the field on your right and the woodland on your left. This path becomes a bridleway with great views to your right towards St Albans and the M25 to your left.
- Soon after you reach the farm look out for a footpath on your right. Take this and follow it as it drops down through the fields.
- You will come to a field with a 'Beware of the Bull' sign. When we walked this there was no evidence of a bull. The field is not large and you head diagonally slightly to your right over to the gate leading to a field of crops. Cross this, keeping slightly to your right. Soon you will see a sign offering you a choice of taking the designated path through the crops (nobody seems to use this) or the permissive path that edges the field on the left. Take this one.
- You will soon meet a track, turn right and you reach the point where the designated path would have emerged. Immediately opposite is a gap in the hedge with a signpost hidden in the undergrowth. Take this path and make your way through a small plantation until you reach some works buildings. Pass these and continue heading west towards Coursers Farm in the distance.
- Go through the farmyard (here you will find the no dogs sign) and take the footpath straight ahead just before the farm lane bends to the left where it joins Coursers Road.
- You path emerges on Coursers Road at a stile. Cross it and cross the road with care to the footpath immediately opposite. Your path turns right and follows the edge of Coursers Road through Colney Heath Common until you reach a track.
- Turn right and follow the track almost to the point where it reaches Coursers Road and you see a footpath sign on your left. Turn right on this path across Colney Heath heading for the village, cross a small footpath ford and head for the coal post in the distance.
- Cross the Colney Heath High Street just to the left of the former pub (opposite the convenience store) and take the footpath just to your left which crosses two fields before it comes to a track on your right. (At this point you have the choice of turning left and heading to The Crooked Billet for refreshments). If not, take this track as it swings round to the left and crosses Roestock Lane.
- At Roestock Lane, there is another chance for refreshments at The Chalkdrawers Arms. However the walk carries on straight across Roestock Lane and down the footpath directly opposite.
- When the path reaches an open field keep straight with the field on your left and the hedge to your right until you meet a bachelor gate. Turn left and cross the field through the crop to the far hedge then continue with the hedge on your left and the field on your right until you reach Bullens Green Lane.
- Turn right on Bullens Green Lane and follow it until it reaches Tollgate Road.
- Take care here as you turn left on Tollgate Road and, almost immediately, take the footpath on your left after the farm. Here you go diagonally to your left heading east towards the energy pylon in the middle of the field. Go under the pylon and continue west towards the A1 (M). Before you reach the A1 (M) you come to a farm track which you cross.
- Turn right when you get to the A1 (M) and head south until you reach the farm track again. Cross it to the right of the bridge over the A1 (M) and take the stairs on the other side of the track. Do not cross the A1 (M) bridge but stay on the west side.
- Keep walking south with the A1 (M) on your left and the field on your right until your path cuts diagonally south west through the crop heading for a distance wood.
- Go through a bachelor gate, through the woods and emerge on Tollgate Road. Cross with care and turn left past one of the entrances to North Mymms Park, then turn right up St Mary's Church Road and back to your car.