A hornbeam wood, quiet lanes, tracks, and open views
6 miles (9.7 km)
A varied circular which starts and finishes at The Woodman, Wildhill. The route takes you through the Cartland Estate, a hornbeam wood, along quiet lanes and tracks with open views, and across fields. This walk does involve some walking along lanes without footpaths.
- Park at The Woodman, Wildhill.
- Leave the car park and turn left and then first right up West End Lane. The lane dips down then climbs before turning right and left.
- Shortly after take the BOAT (byway open to all traffic) on the right. Follow this byway through the woods until you reach a gate on the right.
- Take that path and walk down to the stream with the field on your right and the hedgerow on your left.
- Cross the footbridge and continue through the woods until you reach a footpath junction.
- Here you turn right and follow the path through the Cartland Estate eventually emerging on the B158.
- Cross the road, and carry on down a road with houses on your right until the lane becomes a public footpath. Continue along this path climbing the hill through an avenue of trees until you come to Cucumber Lane.
- Turn right and continue along Cucumber Lane until you come to the junction of Woodfield Lane and Tylers Causeway.
- Turn left at the junction and continue east along Tylers Causeway for a few yards until you reach a track on the right.
- Take the track and walk past a lodge on your left and a bungalow on your right.
- Shortly after passing the bungalow look out for a public footpath on your right. Take this path for 1.5 miles until you reach the B158 again.
- Cross the road and continue along Grubbs Lane. Take care as the lane dips because there is no footpath. Shortly after the lane dips and rises again you will see a public footpath on the right.
- Take this path and cross the field until you reach a hedge. You will notice the path cuts through the crops and then turns slightly right and heads north with the field on your right and the hedgerow on your left. At the bottom of the field you will see a gap in the hedgerow to your right.
- Go through the gap, cross a small stream, turn left, and follow the path round with the hedge on your left and the field on your right.
- At the fourth oak tree on your left you will see steps down to a gate. Go through the gate, cross a small footbridge, cross another field, go through another gate, across another footbridge, another gate and emerge in The Woodman car park.