High open walking with great views
4.7 miles (7.5 km)
A great circular with open views along the track on the east side of Kentish Lane. The walk starts and finishes at The Woodman, Wildhill.
- Park in The Woodman car park, Wildhill. There are two footpaths from the car park, one heads east (from just below the beer garden), the other heads south at the bottom right of the car park (as viewed from the pub). Head south out of the car park and go through a gate, over a small footbridge, through another gate, over another footbridge and through a third gate emerging into a field.
- Turn right keeping the hedge on your right as the path bends round until you reach a gap in the hedge where the path crosses a small stream.
- Cross that stream and go through the gap walking straight heading for a hedge.
- Turn left and keeping the hedge on your right climb the hill.
- Looking out for a path heading diagonally through the crops to your left. Follow this path to the top of the hill and keep straight with the woodland on your right and the field sloping away to your left.
- Keep straight until you reach Grubbs Lane where you turn left and follow the lane to Kentish Lane. Be careful here because this lane can become a bit of a rat run at peak times.
- Cross Kentish Lane and take the footpath down the lane directly opposite. Continue along this lane until you reach a farm.
- Look out for a footpath sign just before the barn that direct you right and then left. Keep following the signs until you emerge on the causeway.
- Walk east along this causeway until you reach a junction with one path going right and the other left. You turn left and continue until you emerge on Tylers Causeway.
- Turn left for a few yards and then turn right on Cumcumber Lane.
- Keep walking along Cucumber Lane until it veers to the right and you see a footpath sign marked Hornbeam Lane, Wildhill on the left. Take that path. Continue along this path until you emerge on Kentish Lane (B158).
- When you reach Kentish Lane, cross with care and turn left on the roadside footpath heading south with Kentish Lane on your left.
- Continue along Kentish Lane, past the triangle at the top of Wildhill Lane, until you see a footpath sign on your right. This is just past the second driveway on the left after Wildhill Lane. Take the footpath and follow it through a field until you reach a gate.
- Go through the gate and across a second field until you come to a second gate. Go through the next field and then drop down to The Woodman car park (the horses in this field can be a bit playful at times).