High open walking with great views
6 miles (9.5 km)
A circular route with open views along the track on the east side of Kentish Lane. The walk starts and finishes at The Woodman, Wildhill. Some quiet lane walking.
|Map for Walk 18: Tylers Causeway Loop|
Created on Map Hub by Hertfordshire Walker
Elements © Thunderforest © OpenStreetMap contributors
Note: There is a larger, more detailed map embedded at the end of these directions
- Park in The Woodman car park, Wildhill. There are two footpaths from the car park, one heads east (from just below the beer garden), the other heads south at the bottom right of the car park (as viewed from the pub). Head south out of the car park and and take the footpath that goes through a gate (Hatfield footpath 84), crosses a small footbridge, through another gate and over another footbridge. Immediately after the second footbridge turn left up to a third gate where the path emerges into a field.
- Turn right keeping the hedge on your right and the field on your left as the path bends round until you reach a gap in the hedge where the path crosses a small stream.
- Cross that stream and go through the gap walking north-west heading for a hedge. Turn left and keeping the hedge on your right and the field on your left climb the hill. Look out for a path heading diagonally through the crops to your left. Follow this path to the top of the hill.
- Keep straight with the woodland on your right and the field sloping away to your left until you reach Grubbs Lane where you turn left looking out for a path on your right.
- Take this path (Hatfield footpath 83) as it heads south-west across two fields, through a copse, across another field eventually reaching Woodside Lane.
- Turn left on Woodside Lane, cross the A1000 (the Great North Road), and continue heading south along Bell Lane.
- Follow Bell Lane as it bends left and heads north-east up to the A1000.
- Turn right on the A1000 for a short distance looking out for a footpath on your left running alongside the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station. Turn left on this footpath (North Mymms footpath 37) and continue heading north-east until you reach Grubbs Lane.
- Turn right on Grubbs Lane and continue heading east until you reach Kentish Lane the B158.
- Cross Kentish Lane and take the bridleway (Hatfield bridleway 87) and continue until you reach a farm.
- Look out for a footpath sign just before the barn that direct you right and then left. Keep following the signs until you emerge on the causeway. Walk east along this causeway until you reach a junction with one path going right and the other left.
- You turn left on the byway (Hatfield restricted byway 88) until you emerge on Tylers Causeway.
- Turn left for a few yards and then turn right on Cumcumber Lane.
- Keep walking along Cucumber Lane until it veers to the right and you see a footpath sign marked Hornbeam Lane, Wildhill on the left. Take that bridleway (Essendon bridleway 88) and continue along this track until you reach the last house on the left where you will see a footpath sign.
- Turn left on this footpath (Essendon footpath 20) and continue south-west until you reach the corner of the field.
- Here you turn right on another footpath (Essendon footpath 19) and head north-west until you reach Kentish Lane.
- Turn left on Kentish Lane and follow the roadside footpath heading south with Kentish Lane on your right.
- Look out for a footpath sign on your right (Hatfield footpath 85) and follow it through a field until you reach a gate.
- Go through the gate and across a second field until you come to a second gate. Go through the next field and then drop down to The Woodman car park (the horses in this field can be a bit playful at times).