Woodland paths and lanes
4.06 miles (6.5 km)
You can do this walk from either The Candlestick or The Woodman. The figure of eight involves retracing one bit of the track for 0.4 miles, but it's no hardship. The part you cover twice will be uphill if you start and finish at The Woodman and go counter-clockwise, and downhill if you start at the Candlestick and go clockwise. The reverse is true - if you follow all that.
- Park at The Woodman, Wildhill and go through the gate just below the beer garden and on the east of the car park.
- Cross the field walking diagonally to the right and climb until you reach a gate in the hedge. The horses in this field can be a bit excitable at times.
- Cross the next field until you reach a second gate, go through it and proceed keeping the woodland on your left.
- Soon the path crosses the field to the hedgerow opposite where the path reaches the B158, Kentish Lane.
- Cross the B158 and turn left, walking north with the road on your left.
- When you reach the turn off for Wildhill on your left, cross the road with care and continue along Kentish Lane, the B158 but walking on the left (west) side of the road. (The safest place to cross is probably just before the bend).
- Continue walking alongside the B158 until you reach a sign on the left just before a house. Turn left.
- Pass the house and, when you come to a farmyard, turn right and follow the cart track down through a tunnel of trees in Duncan’s Wood.
- When you reach the next path turn left and follow it keeping the brook on your right.
- Cross a small footbridge and climb up keeping the hedgerow on your right.
- When you emerge you will be on the BOAT (byway for all traffic) between Wildhill and West End.
- Turn left on this byway and eventually emerge on West End lane. Turn right and continue to The Candlestick.
- Immediately after the pub take the path to the right which leads down to the BOAT.
- At the bottom, turn right and continue along the byway until your reach the lane again - in about a mile.
- Turn left on West End Lane and follow it round until you reach Wildhill Lane.
- Turn left and return to the car park at The Woodman.