Hills, views and woodland
3.65 miles (5.95 km)
A really good undulating walk from West End in Essendon. Some great open views. Quite a bit of up and down. Short stretch of quiet country lane. Start and finish at The Candlestick restaurant/pub.
- Park at The Candlestick and head west along the lane opposite the pub.
- Continue past the cottages on your right until you come to a footpath sign to the right, just before a rear entrance to Hatfield House. This is Essendon footpath 12.
- Follow this footpath down the hill until you reach to Hill End Lodge.
- Continue along the lane heading north, past the turn off for Hillend Farm, and on until you reach a footpath turning sharp right and heading south-east across the field towards the distance hedgerow (Essendon footpath 8). If you come to a left-hand bend in the lane you have gone too far, turn round and head back to the footpath.
- Continue across three fields until you reach a farm lane. Cross the farm road, go through a fourth field, and emerge on another bridleway (Essendon bridleway 10).
- Turn right for a short distance looking out for another path through the hedgerow on your left (continuation of Essendon footpath 8).
- Take that path across another field, through a hedgerow, and across the next field heading for Larkinshill Grove.
- When you reach the woodland, walk south with the woods on your left and the field on your right.
- Cross another field and emerge on West End Lane.
- Turn left, and climb the hill until you reach the outskirts of Essendon village.
- Look out for a path on the right (Essendon footpath 17) that skirts the west boundary of the church and then crosses a field emerging in Backhouse Wood.
- Turn right and follow the path (Essendon footpath 13) through the wood, down the hill, and across a footbridge.
- Climb up the path heading west until you meet a byway open to all traffic (BOAT). This is Essendon BOAT 14).
- Turn left, and almost immediately take the first footpath on the right (a continuation of Essendon footpath 13), climbing with the fields on your left and the hedge on your right as you make your way back to The Candlestick.
About this site
You can find out who is behind this site along with some tips for preparing for the walks by visiting our about page. Information about the content that appears on the site is set out on our copyright page.