Undulating with open views and woodland
4.5 miles (7.3km)
This is a great walk if you want to stretch the legs and enjoy marvellous open views and woodland. It can be muddy in parts, so pick a dry day. There is a fair bit of up and down, and the middle section goes into old Welwyn where there are several restaurants and pubs if you want to break the journey. The distance of 4.5 miles allows for the short detour into the old town.
Map for Walk 12: Old Welwyn Loop
Created on Map Hub by Hertfordshire Walker
Elements © Thunderforest © OpenStreetMap contributors
Note: There is a larger, more detailed map embedded at the end of these directions
- Park in the Ayot Greenway car park off Ayot St Peter Road and follow the footpath north-west (Ayot St Peter Footpath 15) as it traces the track of the old railway. Drop down the steps to the road and then climb up again the other side to continue along Ayot Greenway heading north-west.
- When you reach the end of Saul's Wood turn right and follow the footpath (Ayot St Peter Footpath 17) north-east until you reach Ayot St Peter.
- Cross the road and look out for a footpath just to the east of School Lane (Ayot St Peter Footpath 22). Take this footpath and continue heading east and north-east until you reach Whitehill.
- Turn left on Whitehill and head north-east until you spot a footpath sign on your right.
- There are two choices here, one heads east but the footpath you want (Welwyn Footpath 43) heads north-east diagonally downhill across the field (this can be muddy after rain). Continue down this footpath. You will pass playing fields on your left and a school on your right. Eventually the path becomes Ottway Walk. Continue until you reach Hobbs Hill.
- Turn left on Hobbs Hill and follow the footpath (still Welwyn Footpath 43) until it reaches School Lane.
- At this point you can leave the walk by turning right (see yellow detour on maps above and below) and explore the many pubs and restaurants of Old Welwyn. If you don't need a stop, continue south-west on School Lane, past the hospital looking out for a footpath sign on your right.
- Take this footpath (Ayot St Peter Footpath 3) as it goes north-west and then heads west across the fields. (This can be muddy after rain).
- When you reach a footpath crossroads turn left and head south along the footpath (Ayot St Peter Footpath 7) until you meet Ayot St Peter Road again.
- Continue south-west along Ayot St Peter Road until the bend where you head straight on through a door in the gate to a country house.
- Go through the door in the gate, continue straight and follow the footpath (Ayot St Peter Footpath 19) as it heads south-west and then turns left and heads south at a footpath sign.
- Take this footpath and look out for a footpath on the left (Ayot St Peter Footpath 18). The sign might have been knocked over.
- Take this path south-east across the field (again this could be muddy after rain) until it joins Ayot Greenway again. Turn left on Ayot Greenway and follow the disused railway track back to the car park.
Tips for getting the most out of this site
We have a walking tips page with some suggestions for what you should take on our walks, the recommended maps you should carry, how to print the directions without destroying too many trees, and how to comment and share your experiences for the benefit of other walkers. We want this to be a mutually-beneficial community project with everyone being able to contribute.