Woodland, rivers, quiet lanes and open views
4.3 miles (6.9 km)
A pleasant walk from Little Berkhamsted village through fields and woodland over to Bayford village and back. The walk includes open fields, shady woodland, footpaths, bridleways and has the benefit of a pub and village shop at the start/finish and a pub half way round.
- Take the footpath just east of the church and follow the path north east until you come to a gate leading out to Buck's Alley. Turn right.
- Almost immediately you will see a style and footpath sign to Bayford on the left. Take this path and continue, crossing a field and dropping down to Bayford Woods.
- Walk east through the wood climbing up to a hay field where you turn left and head north to a gate and style in the hedegrow. Go through it and follow the path to Ashendene Road.
- Turn left and follow this road into Bayford village taking care because there isn't really a footpath.
- Keep walking through the village until you reach the Baker Arms - an opportunity for refreshments if you've picked the right time of day. Turn left down Well Row and follow the lane watching out for traffic. Again, this is a lane without a footpath.
- When you reach Bayford church keep left along Bayford Lane.
- The road will swing to your right and, shortly after a cottage on your left you will see a footpath sign and style leading left and west through a gap between the house and the hedge.
- Continue along this path and cut through a field with horse paddocks left and right. Your way is straight. Continue with the field on your left and, just as the path turns to the right, take a path through the crops heading due west and down hill to Bayford Woods.
- Go through the woods, dropping down to the stream, which you cross via a footbridge. Climb up to the field and turn left keeping the hedgerow on your left and the field on your right.
- Go through a gap in the hedge and turn right keeping the field on your left and the hedge to your right.
- Climb this hill to a small gravel track and turn left. Follow this track as it goes south west and look out for a track on the right with a bridleway sign.
- Take this path and head north following Stockings Lane until you reach the end.
- At this point, continue down a footpath that eventually leads to Robins Nest Hill where you turn left.
- Continue along Robins Nest Hill a short distance, and, after a cottage on your right, take the track on your right keeping Culver Wood on your right.
- Follow this path as it weaves first right then left past cottages on your right and ending in a gate and style. Cross the style and climb the hill over and down to the path on the far side.
- Turn left on the path and follow it south over a footbridge and up the hill keeping the field on your left and the hedgerow on the right until you emerge on Little Berkhamsted Lane.
- Here you turn left and, at the next junction turn right to return to your starting point. Refreshments can be taken at The Five Horseshoes and snacks can be bought at the village store - subject to opening times.