A country estate, an old hornbeam wood, quiet lanes, tracks and open views
6 miles (9.7 km)
A great walk which starts and finishes at The Woodman, Wildhill. The route takes you through the Cartland Estate, a hornbeam wood, along quiet lanes and tracks with open views, and across fields.
- Park at The Woodman, Wildhill.
- Leave the car park and turn left and then first right up West End Lane. The lane dips down then climbs before turning right and left.
- Shortly after take the BOAT (byway open to all traffic) on the right. Follow this byway through the woods until you reach a kissing gate on the right.
- Take that path and walk down to the stream with the field on your right and the hedgerow on your left.
- Cross the footbridge and continue through the woods until you reach a footpath junction.
- Here you turn right and follow the path through the Cartland Estate eventually emerging on the B158.
- Cross the road, and carry on down a road with houses on your right until the lane becomes a public footpath. Continue along this path climbing the hill through an avenue of trees until you come to Cucumber Lane.
- Turn right and continue along Cucumber Lane until you come to the junction of Woodfield Lane and Tylers Causeway.
- Turn left at the junction and continue east along Tylers Causeway for a few yards until you reach a track on the right.
- Take the track and walk past a lodge on your left and a bungalow on your right.
- Shortly after passing the bungalow look out for a public footpath on your right. Take this path for 1.5 miles until you reach the B158 again.
- Cross the road and continue along Grubbs Lane. Take care as the lane dips because there is no footpath. Shortly after the lane dips and rises again you will see a public footpath on the right.
- Take this path and cross the field until you reach a hedge. You will notice the path cuts through the crops and then follows a track down to a spot where four tracks meet near a gap between the fields.
- Go through the gap, across a small stream, and turn left following the path round with the hedge on your left and the field on your right.
- At the fourth oak tree on your left you will see a kissing gate. Go through the gate, cross a small footbridge, cross another field, go through a kissing gate, across another footbridge, another kissing gate and you emerge in The Woodman car park.