Fields, footpaths, woodland and lanes
7.5 miles (12 km)
A circular walk from Brookmans Park to Wildhill and back. This walk is a mix of lane walking and footpaths. You cross fields, some of which can be muddy at certain times of the year, and wander through woodland.
- Start in Brookmans Park and walk up Brookmans Avenue until you reach Golf Club Road on the left.
- Turn left and continue along Golf Club Road until you reach the clubhouse. At this point turn right down a track that heads east past Chancellor's School on the right.
- You emerge at the top of Pine Grove. Keep going straight along the track slightly veering to the left keeping the houses on your right.
- When you reach Bell Lane turn right and right again walking south alongside the west side of the A1000 keeping the houses on your right.
- Look out for a footpath sign on the opposite side of the road which leads to a path that runs along the north side of the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station. (Cross this road with care)
- Walk along this path until you reach a footbridge. Cross this bridge, turn right and then left keeping the field on your left and the hedge on your right.
- Walk along this path until it reaches Grubbs Lane. Turn left and continue heading north east with the road on your right and the hedge on your left.
- The road dips and, at this point, the pavement disappears. Take care here and, soon after you climb from the dip you will see a footpath sign on your right. Take this path and cross the filed heading north until you reach the far hedge with a small wood on your left.
- Go through the gap in the hedge and follow the path, which is usually carved out through the crops in the next field, as the path drops down to a hedgerow where you turn right and continue with the hedgerow on your left and the field on your right.
- Follow the path until it meets the next hedge and your way is slightly to the right and then through another gap in the hedge to the next field. At this point you cross a small brook. Turn left.
- Continue left with the hedgerow on your left and field on your right until you come to a path through to the field on your left. Go through the gate, drop down to a small brook, cross the footbridge and cross the next field heading for a gate just to the right of an old oak.
- Go through the gate, cross a footbridge, through another gate and emerge in The Woodman car park.
- Turn left and pass The Woodman and continue until you reach a right turn. Take that lane down the hill and then up again until you come to a sharp right bend.
- At this point take the byway on the left along a ridge until you meet a left turn.
- Turn left and continue past the farm on your right and some houses on your left, through a gate and out to the lane.
- Cross the lane and, immediately opposite you will see a track. Follow it until you reach a woodland. Keeping the woodland on your left continue until the path cuts across a field and then another field eventually emerging on Grubbs Lane.
- Turn left along Grubbs Lane until you see a footpath sign on your right leading across a field.
- Take this path down to a small stream and cross a footbridge and then continue across the next field to a small copse. Continue until you meet Woodside Lane, turn left and then cross the A1000 by the petrol station heading for Bell Lane opposite.
- Go down this lane until you reach a right turn, Bulls Lane. Take this lane until you go under the railway bridge.
- Turn left immediately after the railway bridge and head along that footpath .
- This path heads through a wood to the right of the football pitch, down some steps and out into the car park of the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre.
- Turn left on Station Road and follow the path back to Brookmans Park where there are shops, cafes, restaurants and a pub.